The world is a dark place. The forces of evil are tireless and legion. The forces of good are hard-pressed, but undaunted. Whether you’re a muggle or a wizard – or something in between – your actions are what put you on one side or the other. However, as with any great endeavor, you cannot accomplish much alone.
But you are not alone.
There are alliances, leagues, fellowships, rag-tag bands and armies fighting for the Good.
The Harry Potter Alliance is one such army for Good. Global and grassroots, it is accepting of muggle and wizard alike (in case you know any muggles who want to enlist).
JK Rowling herself has said, “The HP Alliance is, without doubt, the purest expression of ‘the Spirit of Albus Dumbledore’ yet to emerge from the Harry Potter fandom.”
This is not fantasy; this is an on-going real-life effort working in concert with other organizations. In a variety of arenas, The Harry Potter Alliance…
– Supports literacy with book donations (250,000 since 2009) thru Accio Books and in 2016 is even stocking a complete library in Masaka, Uganda
– Provides completely free lesson materials for addressing issues like censorship and sexism, using relevant iconography like Marvel Universe characters, Paper Towns, and Night Vale (Night Vale! – who are these people?!)
– Has worked with Partners in Health in supporting Haiti after their terrible earthquake disaster with over $100,000 for needed supplies
– Has fought for net neutrality alongside Public Knowledge
– With Walk Free, led 400,000 fans in an effort called Not in Harry’s Name to make all Harry Potter chocolate Fair Trade or UTZ (sustainable)
– Even campaigned in support of Fair Use laws, so fans can continue to pay homage to, parody, etc., the originals that inspire them
… and there are many other campaigns over the past 10 years – check the Press section of the website for an exhaustive list. It’s impressive.
You don’t have to wait for an owl post invitation to stand with The Harry Potter Alliance. Or rather, THIS is your owl post invitation. Hoot hoot.
Not sure where to start? Come to our BYOB Book Drive this Saturday at 7pm. Admission is a donation of ONE book (new or gently used) – and *shazam* you’re in. By bringing your 1 book donation (obvi, you can bring more), you are utilizing the skills you learned in Defence Against the Dark Arts (I think the spell was illiteracius disappearus) and you’ll be in a good place to learn more about The Harry Potter Alliance. This event is a combo of the HPA and Book Riot, with special guests, including Sara Benincasa, embroiled in a game show contest of First Lines. It’s gonna be hilarious fun for book nerds. That’s right: in the middle of a war against evil, we still know how to have a good time.
Heed the call.
Remember, you choose by your actions which side you will fight for.